Affordable Housing Resources
The following organizations develop and manage affordable rental housing in Newton. They may have units available at this time or you may ask to add your name to a waiting list for units that become available in the future. Application procedures vary according to the organization that manages the specific affordable housing unit(s).
Apartments for Rent:
- The Ridge is located at 55 Ridge Lane, Waltham, MA for leasing information call 781-996-4706 or go to their website at http://www.ridgeapts.com/waltham-ma-apartments.asp
- Currents on the Charles, 36 River Street, Waltham, MA call 1-877-813-0056 for leasing information http://www.currentswaltham.com/
- The Watch Factory Lofts located at 185 Crescent Street, for leasing information call 1-888-560-8592. For more information go to http://princetonproperties.com/property/35397/MA/Waltham/Watch-Factory-Lofts.aspx
- Citizens for Affordable Housing in Newton Development Organization, Inc. (CAN-DO) CAN-DO is a community-based non-profit developer of affordable housing for individuals and families with low and moderate incomes. Founded in 1994, CAN-DO has developed and currently manages a number of affordable housing units, which serve a diverse population.
- Waltham Housing Authority (WHA) The WHA owns numerous rental housing units within the City. Some are in larger developments and some are within scattered sites around the City. There are units for lower income families, seniors, and persons with disabilities. In addition, the WHA has rent subsidy programs. The wait list for most of these units is 3-5 years.
- Action for Boston Community Development
Action for Boston Community Development is Boston's antipoverty agency, serving more than 100,000 low-income Greater Boston residents through its city-wide network of neighborhood-based organizations. ABCD provides innovative, timely programs that promote upward mobility and a higher quality of life for people and communities.ABCD also provides foreclosure prevention assistance for families and
individuals in Newton. 617-348-6000
- Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA)
The BRA is committed to creating affordable homeownership and rental opportunities in the City of Boston. The BRA aims to alleviate the impacts of market rate housing on the supply and costs of housing for low- and moderate-income households. Housing is made affordable to all incomes, ages, and households by reducing the rent or purchase price to below market values, thus reducing monthly rent and mortgage payments and requiring lower down payments.
- Citizens Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA)
CHAPA is the non-profit umbrella organization for affordable housing and community development activities throughout Massachusetts. The CHAPA website lists many of the affordable housing lotteries throughout the state.
- Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity Greater Boston is a Christian-based non-profit organization dedicated to building decent, affordable homes in partnership with very low-income families.
- Massachusetts Affordable Housing Alliance
The Massachusetts Affordable Housing Alliance, is a non-profit housing organization that offers services for first time homebuyers, such as home buying workshops, credit counseling, budget counseling, etc. It also has an online searchable database of all affordable home ownership opportunities in the state.
- Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
The Department of Housing and Community Development supports the production of affordable rental housing, including units for persons with special needs, and the construction or rehabilitation of affordable homes and condominiums for purchase by income-eligible first-time homebuyers. DHCD website
- Mass Access The Mass Accessible Housing Registry helps people with disabilities find rental housing in Massachusetts, primarily accessible and barrier-free housing. The database tracks accessible and affordable apartments throughout the state and maintains information about their availability.
Go to Mass Access Website and click on the region you are looking in to find accessible housing in your area.
MassHousing is one of the leading providers of affordable housing resources in Massachusetts. The agency also partners with an extensive network of approved lenders to deliver its home mortgage programs to first-time home buyers.
- Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP)
The Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP) is a statewide public non-profit affordable housing organization that works in concert with the Governor and the state Department of Housing and Community Development to help increase the supply of affordable housing in Massachusetts. The MHP is a quasi-public agency that provides permanent mortgages for low-to moderate-income first-time homebuyers. http://www.mhp.net/one-mortgage/why-one
- Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership (MBHP)
MBHP's mission is to ensure that the region's low- and moderate-income individuals and families have choice and mobility in finding and retaining decent affordable housing. To achieve this mission, MBHP works collaboratively with a broad array of service providers and neighborhood-based organizations.
MBHP also provides foreclosure prevention assistance to families and individuals in Newton.