> View Contact Info
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
The City of Waltham Law Department, located on the top floor at 119 School Street, houses both the Law Department and the office of the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Description of Services
The Law Department, consisting of the City Solicitor and Assistant City Solicitors, acts as the legal advisor for the Mayor, City Council, School Committee, and all departments, boards and commissions of the City of Waltham. The Law Department does not provide legal advice to private citizens.
The Law Department is responsible for handling the following matters on the City's behalf:
- Investigating and resolving all claims against the City of Waltham, including the School Department
- Handling building/zoning enforcement actions and health and fire code violations in the courts
- Labor negotiations with city unions, grievances, arbitration and employee discipline
- Reviewing all city contracts
- Reviewing all Special Permit decisions of the City Council prior to issuance
- Prosecuting all tax foreclosures
- Preparing title examinations for City property
- Representing the City in bankruptcy actions
- Handling all matters before state administrative agencies, e.g., Civil Service Commission, Labor Relations Board, Board of Conciliation and Arbitration, Department of Industrial Accidents, Contributory Retirement Appeals Board, Appellate Tax Board, Commission Against Discrimination, and the Department of Environmental Protection
- Reviewing and/or drafting city leases
- Representing the City, including the School Department, in actions filed by or against the School Committee and/or City of Waltham in all courts of the Commonwealth and federal courts
- Preparation of all City ordinance
- Preparation of all Special Legislation for the Mayor and City Council
- Attendance at City Council meetings; School Committee meetings; and meetings of various other municipal boards, commissions and committees when requested
|John B. Cervone||City Solicitor||(781) 314-3330|
|Pamela Doucette||Legal Secretary|
|Karen Rowland||Legal Secretary|
Frequently Asked Questions
- I want to know whether my property is eligible for small lot status. Can I get an opinion from the Law Department?
- Does the Law Department provide legal advice to residents?
- If I hit a pothole on a public way in Waltham, how do I file a claim?
- How can I obtain a copy of a city ordinance?
- How long does it take to receive a decision once a claim is filed?
- Start getting your household hazardous products ready - Our first Minuteman collection event is on April 15th!
- Our 2017 Annual citywide clean up will be held on April 29th & volunteers are needed!
- National Grid's list of potential projects in 2017 & 2018 in Waltham:
- Waltham Students - Summer employment opportunities are currently available!
- The Waltham School Committee is holding a Public Hearing on the School Dept's Operating Budget, April 5th at 7:30pm: