Note from the Mayor
The reuse of Fernald School will have a major impact not only on the residents of Fernald, but also on North Waltham and the entire City of Waltham. The property encompasses approximately 200 acres off Trapelo Road which is a heavily traveled, narrow 'country' road.
Local community planning is imperative since residents are currently unable to access Trapelo Road to get to their homes during their daily activities.
I would encourage all citizens to help the Reuse Committee formulate a plan that works for Waltham, while preserving our open space and protecting the site from over-development.
Statement of Purpose
The Fernald Reuse Committee was originally established in 2004 in order to determine how the 196+ acre Fernald campus will be utilized once the Commonwealth of Massachusetts surpluses the site (in whole or in part).
While the case regarding Fernald has been tied up in various legal proceedings, the Committee has consistently requested analysis and documentation regarding the Fernald campus in order to be as informed and up-to-the-minute as possible.
The Reuse Committee is dedicated to ensuring that the Fernald campus is utilized in a manner that would best serve the citizens of Waltham.
All residents are encouraged to attend Committee meetings and contact Committee members if they have any questions regarding the status of Fernald or questions in general regarding the campus.
- Please join us for the Sergeant Robert C. Dakin Square Dedication on Sat, June 4th!
- Did you miss the 2nd Transportation Master Plan, Draft Recommendations Public Meeting held on 5/17? Check out the concept plans & leave your feedback here!
- 2016 Memorial Day, Veteran's Program Schedule
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall Fundraiser will be held June 18th! Click for info:
- Styrofoam Collection Day Recap