Absentee Voting


You may vote absentee if:

You  are unable to go to the polls because you are absent from the City of Waltham on election day;

A physical disability prevents you from voting at your polling place or

You cannot vote at the polls because of a religious belief.

You must be a registered voter in order to apply unless you are a “specially qualified voter”.

A specially qualified voter is a person who is:

Otherwise eligible to register as a voter and is living outside of the United States and whose last residence was in Waltham, Massachusetts and who is:

  1. Absent from the city because of active service in the armed forces or    merchant marines or a spouse or dependent of such person
  2. Absent from Waltham or
  3. Confined in a correctional facility or jail except if  the conviction is because of a felony

Applying for an Absentee Ballot

Telephone the City Clerks Office and request that an Absentee Ballot Application be mailed to you or request an application in writing including your:

  • Name
  • Address as Registered    
  • Address where you wish your ballot mailed
  • All requests must be made in writing and signed

Applications may be downloaded from the website of the Secretary of the Commonwealth.  If you do not have a pdf reader, download and install Acrobat Reader to view and print.

         2018 Short Form Application

Absentee Ballot Application

Peticion de Voto en Ausencia 

If you are unable to apply for an Absentee Ballot yourself, a family member may apply for you.

Voting Absentee

You may either request that an absentee application be mailed to you or you may vote in person at the City Clerks Office when the ballots become available. 

The deadline for being able to vote over the counter is 12:00 Noon the Monday before the election.

You can either mail or hand deliver your ballot to the Clerks Office.

If you intend to vote by mail, make sure that you mail your application early.  Ballots must be received before the polls close (8:00 P.M.) on  election day.

Absentee Ballots should be available three weeks before the election.  Call the Clerks office to check before you come in to vote over the counter.

If you are permanently disabled you may file a letter from your doctor with the Clerks Office.  The doctor must state the reason why you are unable to vote at the polls due to a physical disability.  Once this letter is on file, you will automatically be mailed an application which you send back to the Clerks Office.  This application must be filled out each year so that you will receive your ballots by mail.

If you are unable to mark your absentee ballot, you may ask someone to help you.  This person must print his/her name and your name on the brown envelope, write the reason you needed help and then sign his/her name.

If a person enters a hospital after noon of the fifth day before the election, the ballot may be hand-delivered to the voter.