How do I get a wetlands permit?

The Conservation Commission is responsible for reviewing and permitting all work (construction, cutting, grading, or new landscaping) in or near wetlands, ponds, and rivers in the City of Waltham under Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act (310 CMR 10.00) and its implementing Regulations.   Currently, Waltham does not have a local wetlands bylaw.

Filing Guidelines
Any activity proposed within 100 feet of wetland resource areas (wetlands, ponds, or intermittent streams) or 200 feet from rivers and perennial (year-round) streams must be reviewed by the Conservation Commission. If you are planning a project which involves grading, filling, cutting, or building near a wetland resource area and have questions about which permit you should apply for, please contact the Conservation Office at (781) 314-3846.

Request for Determination of Applicability (RDA)
This Application is for minor projects effecting a small portion of the Buffer Zones that will have no impact on the Wetland Resource Area. It is the simplest and least expensive permit application procedure, one most homeowners can fill out on their own. An RDA results in a Determination of Applicability. 

Notice of Intent (NOI)
This Application is for projects involving significant work in the buffer zone or any work in a Wetland Resource Area.   An NOI is a more detailed permit application that requires professionally engineered plans and results in a permit called an Order of Conditions (OOC). 

Abutter Notification
Applicants filing a Notice of Intent must notify all abutters (any landowner within 100 feet of the property line) by certified mail or Certificate of Mailing.  

Filing Fees – The City of Waltham does not have a separate filing fee. Only the State fee applies.

Recording Information – An Order of Conditions must be recorded at the Middlesex Registry of Deeds in Cambridge, or for registered land in the Land Court, no earlier than 10 business days after the issuance of the Order of Conditions by the Conservation Commission along with proof that no appeal of the Order of Conditions has been filed. The Registry fee for recording or registering shall be paid by the owner or applicant.  

Closing Out a Permit – To close out a permit, you must submit a Request for Certificate of Compliance with as-built plans. Upon receipt and recording of a Certificate of Compliance signed by the Conservation Commission, the "cloud" on your title will be released.