Marriage Licenses

All persons who wish to be married in Massachusetts must have a marriage license issued within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Out-of-State marriage licenses cannot be used in Massachusetts.

The couple must apply in person for a marriage intention application. This requirement applies to both residents and non-residents.

There is a (3) three-day waiting period to receive your license. License is valid for (60) sixty days from the day you originally file and may be used in any city or town within the Commonwealth. This license cannot be used outside of this state. A waiver of the (3) three-day waiting period can be applied for at the city or town clerk’s office where you apply and then presented to a court of competent jurisdiction for approval.

Any person filing in Massachusetts who has been married and is divorced does not have to file divorce papers, but that individual’s divorce must be FINAL at the time of the application date.

Federal Statutes requires the collection of Social Security numbers (SSNs) at the time of applications.

When either person is under (18) eighteen years old, a court order must be obtained from the probate court or district court where the minor resides. The parent must accompany the under age person along with the eligible person to the court prior to filing for the license.

A Priest, Minister, Rabbi or a Justice of the Peace may perform the ceremony. A Justice of the Peace does not require witnesses to the ceremony but some religions may require witnesses so you should contact such person before the ceremony so that requirement can be met.

The person who performs the ceremony of marriage must sign the license and return it to the city or town where it was issued. That is the only place where the license will be registered.

Out of State clergy may perform the ceremony here provided that an authorization has been obtained from the Secretary of States Office at the McCormack Building prior to the ceremony. An office has been set aside for this purpose at: Public Records Division, Department of State Secretary, One Ashburton Place, Room 1701, Boston, MA. 02108.

Telephone (617) 727-2836. The marriage license will not be registered unless the required authorization is enclosed with the license.

Persons wishing to file intentions should come to the City Clerk’s Office together. A picture ID is necessary (driver’s license, passport). The fee is Twenty ($20.00) dollars payable at the time of filing the intention.

There are Justices of the Peace available should you wish to get married at Waltham City Hall. The fee for this service is One Hundred ($100.00) dollars. Appointments can be made either the time the license is picked up or by telephone.

Any additional questions, please call The City Clerk’s Office (781) 314-3120.