See Tips from the Charles River Watershed Alliance (CRWA) on how to conserve water inside and outside your house:
Below are some tips on how to save water inside the house.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machines only when full.
- Turn off the tap while you brush your teeth, shave or do dishes.
- Take shorter showers. Don’t fill the tub all the way when taking a bath.
- Use the microwave, a bowl of water, or place frozen food in the refrigerator overnight instead of running the tap to thaw it out.
- Flush toilets only when necessary.
- Find and fix household leaks.
- Install water efficient showerheads- install a 2.5 gallons per minute or less showerhead.
- Install faucet aerators- reduce faucet flow to 1.5-2.5 gallons per minute.
- Install a 1.6 gallon toilet- save up to 5.4 gallons per flush depending on your current toilet model.
- Use a water and energy efficient washing machine.
- Use a high efficiency dishwasher.